Tab-completion in 2.0.10

Discussion about XChat on Linux and other unix like systems.

Tab-completion in 2.

Postby peterz » 02 Jul 2004 04:05

2.0.10 has completely re-written tab-completion code.

To preempt the endless questions about it, here's a quick guide to customizing its behaviour:

Bash style: /set completion_amount 0
Never print anything out style: /set completion_amount 999

Got any other questions about it? Ask pomac on this forum or on #xchat on freenode.
peterz

Postby NoBody » 02 Jul 2004 21:21

exactly what should i understand under "tab completion"? :)

Is it the way tabs fill the channel bar?
Linux/FreeBSD user and darn proud of it!
NoBody

Tab Nick Completion

Postby LIM » 02 Jul 2004 22:46

it means:

Tab Nick Completion

press Tab key to complete a nickname match.

I suppose the number is some amount of allowed fuzz factor in matching nicks...
LIM

Postby Khisanth » 03 Jul 2004 02:56

the number is the amount of characters to match/complete before giving
you a list of possible completions(like the tab comletion before 2.0.10).
Khisanth

Re: Tab Nick Complet

Postby NoBody » 03 Jul 2004 05:54

LIM wrote:it means:

Tab Nick Completion

lol that's another tab then i was thinking ;)

Well i'm a big fan of nick completion (use it a lot) so i'll try it out as soon as 2.0.10 is in the portage tree (Gentoo) :)
NoBody

Postby Q-collective » 05 Jul 2004 00:09

NoBody wrote:

Tab Nick Completion

Well i'm a big fan of nick completion (use it a lot) so i'll try it out as soon as 2.0.10 is in the portage tree (Gentoo) :)

It's in portage :)
Q-collective

Postby NoBody » 05 Jul 2004 01:33

Q-collective wrote:
NoBody wrote:

Tab Nick Completion

It's in portage :)

yeps i know... discovered it few minutes after i posted my previous message, i was too lazy to get back here and edit the reply ;)

Well, it seems nick completion is more mIRC-style now (depending on how completion_amount is set), which has it's advantages as well as it's disadvantages :)
NoBody

Tab completion of pl

Postby Stuart_Gilbert » 07 Jul 2004 06:42

I was reading the changelog when I noticed

Plugin commands can now be tab-completed too (Frank Thieme).

I tested it out with a command that I have to display the currently playing iTunes track "/itunes".

i<tab> gives me "/IGNORE" and no amount of other tab presses will move it onto "/itunes" unlike nicks when there are more than one beginning with the same letter.

it<tab> does auto-complete to "/itunes" though, so the plugin is still working etc.

EDIT

Also, when a nick is not the first thing on the line it auto-completes once, but won't change the nick if there is more than one matching what I typed.

p<tab> will go to "Percy" but hitting tab again won't move it to "PunkRawkKid182134553542245@yahoo.com" or whatever.
Stuart_Gilbert

Postby pizbit » 09 Jul 2004 09:50

I would like to be able to continue tabbing through even if there is no match because, well, typos suck.:)
Eg say I'm in a channel and the only person begining with piz (me being 'pizbit' of course:D )
pix<tab>
Gives nothing, I'd like to to change to Pizbit and have the ability to continue tabbing.
Also great if it didn't stop tabbing at all because of the same reason, if I typo and hit tab I'm stuck with the wrong nick and I have to backspace do undo all the extra letters.
Yes I realise I wouldn't often be using tab completion on my own nick but it's just an example. *g*
pizbit

Postby Khisanth » 09 Jul 2004 15:21

pizbit wrote:I would like to be able to continue tabbing through even if there is no match because, well, typos suck.:)
Eg say I'm in a channel and the only person begining with piz (me being 'pizbit' of course:D )
pix<tab>
Gives nothing, I'd like to to change to Pizbit and have the ability to continue tabbing.
Also great if it didn't stop tabbing at all because of the same reason, if I typo and hit tab I'm stuck with the wrong nick and I have to backspace do undo all the extra letters.
Yes I realise I wouldn't often be using tab completion on my own nick but it's just an example. *g*

The problem with continuing is that if you are in evern an average size
channel there will be a lot of people to cycle through.
Khisanth

Postby pizbit » 09 Jul 2004 15:43

Hrm, one letter of error? Eg, it'd go through the normal process and if they kept holding down tab it'd remove the last letter(of what you hit tab on) and continue as if that was what you had typed to start off with.
Or simply one part of the cycle wouldn't be anything added onto what you typed.
pizbit

Postby Khanboy » 09 Jul 2004 15:49

Well pizbit, looks like it's time to grab the source and start making those diffs. =P
Khanboy

Re: Tab completion o

Postby pj- » 09 Jul 2004 20:16

Stuart_Gilbert wrote:
EDIT

Also, when a nick is not the first thing on the line it auto-completes once, but won't change the nick if there is more than one matching what I typed.

p<tab> will go to "Percy" but hitting tab again won't move it to "PunkRawkKid182134553542245@yahoo.com" or whatever.

That happens to me too, except if I don't have a nick completion suffix, p<tab> at the beginning of a line would go to "Percy", but pressing tab again would do nothing.

I fired up 1.8.11 to see how its nick completion worked, because I remembered that it had cycling, and found that it is the opposite of 2.0.x. In 1.8.11, p<tab> at the beginning of a line would only work once, but p<tab> in the middle of a line would cycle through all P nicks. It would be sexcellent if xchat had cycling for nick completion anywhere in the line.

Also, is there any way to remove the space that appears after a completed nick? My pinky is getting tired from deleting the space so frequently.
pj-

Postby kevin » 11 Jul 2004 08:40

yup,

can u please explain what's the number after "/set completion_amount "

edit:
and what's the configuration to get it working like before??

thx
kevin

Postby Kyoshiro » 11 Jul 2004 13:03

If I've understood correctly its behavior, that option allows you to specify a limit. Let's say you've set it to 5 and there are 10 nicks beginning with A, and 3 begining with AN.
- If you type a<tab>, xchat will print you the 10 nicks matching without completing.
- If you type an<tab>, xchat will complete to the 1st match and if you keep hitting <tab> again, it'll cycle through the matching list.

When the number of matching nicks is above the completion_amount, it shows the list with no completion, when it's below, it completes and cycles through the list.
Kyoshiro

Next

Return to XChat