friend List enhancements

Suggest features you'd like to see in the future. You're not likely to get it without writing the code, but it can't hurt to try :)

friend List enhancem

Postby w8tah » 29 Oct 2008 23:46

A couple things would be very very nice to have for the friends list.

1. it would be very very nice to be able to filter the list so that only those who are on would be seen
2. it would be nice to be able to sort the friend list, by status, or time since seen or by nick
3. being able to save the friend list without closing the program would be awesome
4. balloon notifications would be great when a user signs on
5. it would be cool if the time since last seen could be done in days hours minutes instead of just minutes

Thanks

TIM
w8tah

Postby LifeIsPain » 03 May 2010 20:17

Item 4 (balloon notifications would be great when a user signs on) can be done with a script: Notify Highlight

Not saying this couldn't be added in the interface as well, but at least this is a workaround.
LifeIsPain

Postby tpgames » 09 May 2010 00:56

I've actually QUIT a chat channel because there were 40 people listed as being 'On' and none of them were even posting or responding. I wasn't sure any of them were really on. lol

so, if possible, this feature would really be cool! However, I do realize, that some people just don't log out ever. So, maybe if a person is inactive for say 30 minutes, there name drops from the list? Is this even possible? Thanks!

(I did read another similar thread, but not sure if my comment falls under the same answer as that thread or not, but it sounds like it might. This means, that my addendum idea, would not be possible. :lol: )
tpkyteroo jaunting off...
tpgames

Postby LifeIsPain » 09 May 2010 21:44

The friends list is nothing like the user list and who is listed as away or not, so I'm not quite sure what you expect these feature requests.

What you have here is a separate request, one that changes the list so that you can see who has marked themselves as away (something I have never done) as well as those who have spoken recently in the channel, possibly with some other indication than just color. But in either case, this doesn't have anything to do with Window -> Friends List
LifeIsPain

Postby tpgames » 10 May 2010 18:37

Sorry! I KNEW I was getting something confused, I just couldn't figure out what! Blame it on the cold! :lol: Yep, I was talking about the user list. Oops! I was trying to figure out if we were talking about the same thing, but couldn't remember what else to call it. :lol:
tpkyteroo jaunting off...
tpgames

more suggestions

Postby punkmexic » 31 Aug 2010 23:13

it would be nice to have this implemente into xchat or a xchat plugin referring to friend list:

1) Organize nicknames per name and per network, allow the user to organize them from a-z or z-a

2) Allow doubleclick in their nicks to open query window

3) Allow right click in their nicks to make a whois.

4) Also it would be cool an auto greeting for friend list
punkmexic

Re: friend List enhancements

Postby Khisanth » 04 Feb 2011 23:38

You are using the wrong protocol for chat if you want that sort of thing. Various instant messaging protocols support that IRC does not.
Khisanth

Postby mariyar » 08 Jun 2011 06:42

I do realize, that some people just don't log out ever. So, maybe if a person is inactive for say 30 minutes, there name drops from the list? Is this even possible? Thanks! .....
mariyar

Postby MaxDaniel » 20 Aug 2011 07:09

Nice ideas. I like all of your ideas and appreciated your work.
MaxDaniel

Postby Cybernetic1 » 16 Jul 2013 06:23

The friends list should at least be sorted. With online users at the top. It's ridiculous for me to scroll through all 128 names to see who is online.

Some repliers here also confused the friends lists with the nick list beside the channel.

This feature has been requested in 2008, and now it's 2013. Nothing has changed?
YKY
"The ultimate goal of mathematics is to eliminate any need for intelligent thought" -- Alfred North Whitehead
Cybernetic1

Postby LifeIsPain » 19 Jul 2013 21:54

I'll stick the sorting functionality on a 2.10 branch I'm working on, as this really is quite easy. Although admittedly, I don't use the Friends functionality, so this isn't something that bugs me every day.

Sorting would allow it so that you could have only the online people at the top really easy. So I'm not certain I'd do that one, but potentially.

The balloons though will probably be left to the script though.
LifeIsPain

Postby Cybernetic1 » 23 Jul 2013 12:58

Thanks! Is it easy to do with a script? I'm writing Python scripts, but need some directions....
YKY
"The ultimate goal of mathematics is to eliminate any need for intelligent thought" -- Alfred North Whitehead
Cybernetic1

Postby LifeIsPain » 24 Jul 2013 03:27

The script I posted in my 1st post in the thread does this already. So yea, it is easy enough. This is in Perl, but the same thing could be done in Python. You are basically hooking the 'Notify Online' and 'Notify Offline' events and then doing whatever display you want with them.
LifeIsPain

Postby Ganapoes » 17 Aug 2013 03:09

Various instant messaging protocols support that IRC does not.
http://www.kufv.com/
Ganapoes

Return to Feature Requests